Home  Museums A-Z  Schloss Nymphenburg

Schloss Nymphenburg

Former summer palace of the Wittelsbach family

Palace from the garden side

The Central palace building viewed from the Large Cascade

The queen´s former study


Large Cascade

King Ludwig II's State Coach

Great Hall

Gallery of Beauties



80638 München


Gallery Hours

April – 15. Okt.: tägl. 9.00–18.00 16. Okt. – März: tägl. 10.00–16.00 Da die Öffnungszeiten jährlich variieren können, informieren Sie sich bitte auf der Webseite
accessible with help

The castle and park grounds of Nymphenburg combine architecture and landscape features to render a high-ranking European art work.  One of the special attractions at this preferred summer residence for the Wittelsbach family is the Gallery of Beautiful Women – a collection of paintings commissioned by King Ludwig I and executed by Joseph Stieler between 1827 and 1850.  While walking through the grounds visitors notice various park structures from the 18th century.  The halls of the former horse stables now house the Marstallmuseum which display a fantastic collection of ornate carriages and sleighs, riding equipment, and horse gear used by the Bavarian electors and kings.  The emphasis lies in pieces from the 18th and early 19th centuries along with the period of King Ludwig II.  International enthusiasts and experts are well aware of the Bäuml china collection located in the rooms above the Marstallmuseum.  The valuable pieces deliver an overview of porcelain production at Nymphenburg from its founding into the 1920s.

The Nymphenburg site owes its existence to the birth of the long-awaited heir Max Emanuel. In 1662 Henriette Adelaide von Savoy gave birth to a son for the Bavarian Elector Ferdinand Maria. Construction began in 1664 using the designs of the upper Italian Agostino Barelli. Elector Max Emanuel later commissioned expansion to the facility. In 1715 Joseph Effner designed additional wings for the structures to give the castle its present appearance. Elector Carl Albrecht extended the grounds beyond the rondell. The Rococo spirit arrived at the festive auditorium of the main castle during the reign of Elector Max III Joseph.
Dominique Girard created the extensive baroque castle park between 1715 and 1726. In the early 19th century Ludwig von Sckell introduced a landscaped garden with artificial hills and ponds. Additional architectural accents to this huge park came with the design provided by Leo von Klenze in 1865. It placed a monopteros and pavilions from the 18th century at intervals on the grounds. The Pagodenburg and Amalienburg belong to the most captivating creations of European Rococo.
Nymphenburg castle was a preferred residence for the Bavarian kings. King Ludwig II was born here on August 25, 1845.

Angebote des Museumspädagogischen Zentrums (MPZ)
Familien- und Ferienaktionen, Geburtstage für Kinder und Jugendliche im Museum, Veröffentlichungen, Programme für Klassen aller Schularten und Jahrgangsstufen und Kindertagesstätten, Fortbildungen

Calendar of events

< May - 2020 >
Mo Di Mi Do Fr Sa So
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31